It’s that time of year again– the big basketball Tourney! When it comes to sports and our family, we usually hang out together and watch the games over delicious food. I usually try to make a simple treat that is new and interesting and aligns with the theme of whatever sport we are watching. So, since we are watching the b-ball games, I came up with this delicious Skittles Pretzel Bark recipe. Yum!
Sam’s Club is currently selling the big 54 oz bags of Skittles and I knew I needed quite a bit of Skittles for this recipe and another idea I had for the Tourney that I will be sharing below (plus I wanted to eat some more Skittles by themselves later-It’s only madness if you don’t have Skittles), so the big bag is the perfect size for what I need and is great for entertaining!
This recipe is super duper simple. All you take is a layer of pretzels and spread them onto a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper. I love pretzel thins, so that’s the kind I used, but you can use the mini rods or the regular twisted pretzels too. Up to you! I just broke them up a bit, melted some vanilla almond bark and spread it on top, then lightly pressed the skittles down on top of the prextzel/almond bark mixture. Then I stuck it in the freezer for about an hour to firm everything.
After that, I broke the bark apart using the tip of a knife and pushing it into the bark. The pressure should cause the bark to break up naturally into chunks. Pretty easy if you ask me!
This Skittles Pretzel Bark is the perfect treat for a crowd of any size. They give you crunch and a savory flavor, and the Skittles give you a sweet, fruity flavor. The combo of those flavors along with the crunch is truly magical. Oh yea.
I also had some clear treat bags on hand so I created these cute little Tourney bags with the orange Skittles. All I did was free-hand the basketballs on the bags with a permanent marker, dumped in the orange Skittles and tied it with a piece of ribbon. The little treat bags will be super fun for the kiddos!
Tell me, how do you like to celebrate the big Tourney? What are your favorite treats, games and crafts? How do you make basketball sweeter?
- 2 cups pretzels, crushed in big chunks
- ½ package vanilla almond bark, melted
- 1.5 cups Skittles
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay down pretzels in a single layer.
- Spread melted almond bark over the pretzels, making sure to coat all the pretzels.
- Before the bark starts to cool, sprinkle Skittles over both ingredients and lightly press the Skittles down to help them to adhere to the bark when it's cooled.
- Stick in the refrigerator or freezer for an hour and break bark into chunks by gently pressing the tip of a knife down into different sections of the bark. It should easily chunk by doing this.