It’s no surprise by now that I love bake. Especially baking of the breakfast kind. This is the last week of school for both of my girls and that means for me that I can bake more! No running here, running there, waiting in the car here, waiting in the car there. We can relax a bit this summer and enjoy the time we have together. Yay! So, to kick off summer break officially coming at the end of week, I made these orange scones with a fun SunnyD surprise inside. So easy!
Since Sam’s Club is the easiest place for us to buy for my big family these days, I picked up the 24 pack of bottles while I was there this week. Plus, they’re on Rollback for $5.38 right now through July, and should be on an easy-to-find endcap in the refrigerated section!
These are perfectly measured out bottles of juice for us and there’s enough that I am not having to go out and buy juice every other day. Another great thing about these SunnyD bottles is that I can incorporate a bottle or two into recipes like I have done here!
Orange Mini Scones using SunnyD!
This is a pretty simple recipe. Took me less than 10 minutes to prep and about 10-15 to cook! It could easily be something you make the night before or if you’re up super early, you could definitely whip it up right before breakfast time.
Preheat the oven to 350 and roll out the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper about 1/2 inch thick into a rectangular shape. Cut the dough longways in 3rds, turn the pan and cut it in half, and then halves again. Then, cut each square of dough in half diagonally, making the squares into triangles. You can use a knife or a pizza cutter for this.
Without separating the dough that you’ve just scored, bake it at 350 on the top rack for 15 minutes. remove from the oven, separate the pieces and bake for another 5-10 minutes. Allow to cool about 5 minutes and drizzle orange glaze over the top. For the glaze you mix up 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons SunnyD and 1/4 teaspoon orange zest (optional) into a small bowl with a spoon. Use that same spoon to drizzle over the scones and allow to cool completely. The glaze should harden and give the scones a sweet little icing over the top. Yum!
- For the scones:
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsps baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 Tbsps butter
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup greek yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- ¼ cup + ¼ tsp SunnyD
- ¼ tsp orange zest (optional)
- For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp SunnyD
- ¼ tsp orange zest (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter with a fork, pastry cutter or hand mixer until it makes a coarse flour
- Add egg, greek yogurt, SunnyD and orange zest and mix into a ball. Dough will be sticky.
- Transfer dough to parchment-lined baking sheet, and using a dusting of flour, roll out dough ½" thick to a rectangle shape.
- With a pizza cutter or knife, cut dough longways in 3 sections, then in 4 sections the other way, making several squares. Cut every square in half diagonally, creating 2 triangles within each square.
- Pop in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Take scones out, separate each one, then put back into oven for another 5-10 minutes.
- While that is baking add all glaze ingredients into a small mixing bowl and combine with a spoon.
- Use that spoon to drizzle over semi-cooled scones. Allow to cool completely and enjoy!
I can’t wait for summer– I have stuff planned for all 3 kids that are going to be a blast!
What about you, what plans do you have this summer? How are you incorporating SunnyD into your Summer? Let me know in the comments below!