The Inside Out Movie is just about to be released on DVD and we are SO excited! I wanted to make something for us to celebrate the momentous occasion, so I created these bright and delicious cakeballs that are definitely inspired by the movie. Yum!
I made these cakeballs using a yellow cake mix, some food dye, homemade frosting, and a candy coating that you melt in the microwave.
I purchased a can of Market Pantry Baking Nonstick Cooking Spray to keep the cake sticking in the pan and a big bag of Market Pantry Powdered Sugar to make the homemade frosting.
Inside Out Cakeballs Recipe
To make the colored cake, prepare a box of yellow cake mix according to its package instructions. equally divide the batter into separate containers and color the batter blue, green, red and purple. To get purple, use blue and red dye together. Then, carefully and slowly pour the batter in a greased cake pan so the colors don’t together.
Once the cake is baked and cooled, tear them up into pieces by color in their own container.
Prepare frosting according to my instructions below or buy a can of vanilla frosting and dye them in their own separate containers as well.
Combine the frosting with its same color cake and mix together well. The cake needs to be nice and wet from the frosting so it can be rolled into a ball easily.
Roll the cakeball batter into medium-sized balls and line them on a cookie sheet. Stick them into the refrigerator or freezer for about an hour so they can firm up.
Melt white or vanilla candy coating and dip the chilled cakeballs quickly into the candy. Place them back on a tray and quickly sprinkle them matching sprinkle colors. Place in the refrigerater until candy coating is firm or until ready to serve.
These cakeballs are bright, fun and the kiddos will love celebrating the release of the DVD at Target when eating these! Right now the DVD can be pre-ordered at Target. When you pre-order, Target is giving out a $5 giftcard! I love Target for that very reason! So, go pre-order, then pick up the movie in store so you can have it ASAP (and of course, grab all the stuff you need for these delicious cakeballs)! All movies purchased at Target have bonus content and deleted scenes as a bonus to their customers. I know that we all love going through all the extra stuff on our Blu-Ray movies after we watch it, so this is even more icing on the cake. No pun intended. 🙂
So tell me, how are you going to celebrate the release of Inside Out? Are your kiddos as excited as mine are? Let me know what your plans are in the comments below, and don’t forget to pre-order your movie at Target.com!
- 1 box- Yellow Cake Mix
- Red, Green, Blue Food Dye
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- Vanilla/White Candy coating bars
- red, green, blue and purple sprinkles
- Prepare the cake mix according to package instructions and divide equally into separate containers.
- Dye each container of batter blue, green, purple and red.
- Carefully pour each color of batter into a 9x13 greased baking sheet so the colors aren't mixed.
- Bake according to package instructions.
- To prepare the icing:
- beat two sticks of softened butter until fluffy.
- Add sifted powdered sugar and beat together with butter.
- Add vanilla and beat together with the frosting.
- Divide frosting equally into separate containers and dye red, green, blue and purple.
- Tear baked and cooled cake into separate containers by color and add the matching frosting to each container of cake.
- Combine completely, making sure cake is completely wet by frosting.
- Roll all the cake into balls and place them on a tray. Stick in the refrigerator or freezer for an hour to allow to cool and harden.
- Dip into melted candy coating and sprinkle colored sprinkles on top before the candy coating hardens.
- Stick back into refrigerator until the candy coating is completely hardened or it's time to serve.