‘Tis the season for baking cookies! Since I’ve been on Christmas break with the kiddos, I have been a cookie baking fool! Peanut clusters, buckeyes, and now, peanut butter and jelly thumbprint cookies using Skippy! I think it’s safe to say that I have a slight peanut addiction. Yummy!
These delightful bite-sized cookies are crunchy on the outside from the dough being rolled in sugar before baking, full of peanut butter flavor from the peanut butter and sweet and gooey on the top from the strawberry jam spooned into the man-made heart-shaped reservoir made during the baking process. It does have that pb&j flavor and will really bring you back to childhood. Oh yea!
Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
This recipe is pretty simple! Make the peanut butter cookie recipe below, roll the dough into balls and roll them in a bowl of sugar, bake on 350 for 10 minutes, press the centers with the end of a spoon or a mini shape cutout wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, bake for another 6 minutes and spoon warmed jelly or jam into each cookie reservoir while the cookies are cooling. That’s it!
Not all the cookies came out with perfect heart shapes, but you get the idea! You definitely do not have to do the heart shapes (or any shape for that matter). All that’s required is a hallow spot in the middle of each cookie so the warm jelly can be put into the center. This keeps the jelly from running all over the place and getting everything sticky. You’ll want to do this step, trust me!
These cookies are the perfect sweet treats for a holiday gathering or party.. and they are fun to make with the kiddos! What is your favorite peanut butter recipe? I’d love to hear in the comments below!
- 1 stick butter, softened
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/4 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup your choice flavor of jam or jelly
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Cream both butters together with a mixer until they are fluffy and a pale brown color.
- Add both sugars and beat until incorporated.
- On low, add vanilla and the egg and blend completely.
- in a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- With the mixer on low in the bowl with the wet ingredients, slowly add the dry ingredients and mix everything together until it makes a stiff, creamy dough.
- Roll dough into 1" round balls, roll them in sugar and place on a greased or parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Take cookies out of the oven and create a well in the center of each cookie using the end of a spoon or a shaped cookie cutter wrapped tightly in plastic wrap.
- Once the centers have been pressed, place cookies back into the oven for another 6 minutes.
- During those last 6 minutes, take a small sauce pan and place it on medium-low heat. Add the jam or jelly of your choice and allow it to heat up and thin out (about 30 seconds to a minute), all while stirring.
- Once cookies are baked and set out to cool, spoon heated jelly/jam into the well of each cookie.
- Serve and Enjoy!