Summer is about 2/3 of the way through– can you believe it? For us homeschooling family, it’s actually about through completely, as my plan for our upcoming school year will be August 1st. Woo! Just around the corner. This summer has just flown by and now that my youngest is at an age where we can go out and do more things, we have filled our time with a lot of Summer-esque activities. Our focus will soon shift to back-to-school things, and with that, we can’t take away from those family activities that hold us close as a family. So, I have come up with 5 FREE activities we can do as a family during our back-to-school months!
5 FREE Back-to-School Family Activities
1. Go on a picnic– Our neighborhood has a park that is within walking distance of our house. It is literally 3 blocks away. My oldest has been begging me to take them down to the park for a picnic, so that’s definitely something we want to do once there’s a break in the Summer heat. Pack some sandwiches, some snacks, like Goldfish® crackers, some fruit and a drink to stay hydrated, and we’ll be all set!
2. Enjoy a day in the sun- We have several parks and places to explore around town that would be perfect for this. Not only are they amazing, but they are FREE! Walking trails, parks, fun outdoor exhibits, etc! We love packing a lunch/snacks for a day in the sun! The Goldfish® crackers are perfect for this, because we always get hungry when we’re running around and being active. This mom is ALWAYS prepped with snacks when we spend the day out. Is that how you are too?
3. Visit the library- Our downtown library is amazing. It not only has a fantastic coffee shop for mom to grab a latte, but the children’s section is like it’s own play land filled with books. We normally go to the library near us, so when we go to the one downtown, it’s like a special, extra treat. We of course, stay there for several hours, so I have got to be armed with a snack for their hungry little bellies. They have an outdoor area in this particular library that is a perfect spot to walk around and eat their snacks. We love it!
4. Visit the Zoo or a Museum- We have a yearly pass to the zoo that we paid for in the Spring, so our goal is to always visit once a month to get good use of our membership. We usually spend a good amount of time there, so we always pack a lunch and have snacks at the ready there too. If the zoo isn’t a free option for you, check your local museums and see if they have free entrance or family days where it’s no or low cost. This is a great homeschool field trip activity too!
5. Family Movie Night- And last, but not least, we always try to slow down each week to spend time together as a family. The school year, even as a homeschooler is chaotic, so we want to make sure we keep our priorities as a family in check. We love family movie nights and it’s a no-cost way to squeeze in some quality time! I created some fun popcorn snack mix cones in a previous Goldfish® post that are perfect for something like this! The kids love eating their Goldfish® out of an ice cream cone. They find it so fun!
What are some fun low-to-no-cost After school activities that you and your family like to do? I would love all the ideas, because to me, it’s all about creating long-lasting memories that don’t break the bank. Do you do any of the activities I mentioned above? Let me know in the comments below!